Agriculture is the largest industry in Arkansas, adding about $16 billion to its economy. About 1 in 6 jobs in the state are in the Agriculture industry. Some of the state’s top commodities include rice, broilers, cotton, and more. Check out 15 facts:
- There are about 49,346 farms in Arkansas. 97% of them are Family-Owned farms.
- Only 16% of the farms in the state account for 92% of production.
- Agriculture is the largest industry in the state, adding about $16 billion to the state’s economy.
- Arkansas ranks 1st in rice production in the United States, accounting for over 40% of rice production.
- Over 95% of the land resources in the state are used by the Agriculture and Forestry industries.
- There are nearly 18.8 million acres of forest land, 14.5 million acres of farmland, 6.2 million acres of crops, and 8.3 million acres of livestock and hay.
- The state ranks 5th in softwood lumber.
- There are about 166 catfish farms. There is about 11,000 acres are used for catfish production.
- Over 28,000 farms produce cattle in Arkansas
- Peaches are the largest fruit crop in the state with about 10 million pounds produced.
- Tomatoes are the largest vegetable crop, producing 3 million pounds a year.
- The state ranks 2nd in broiler production with 2,500 farms producing chickens
- Over 17 million gallons of milk are produced each year in the state.
- Cotton is another large crop in the state, putting Arkansas in third.
- Over 1.8 million pigs are produced annually
Sign Up for Our Email Newsletter and get ag facts bi-monthly, plus new jobs in agriculture.